Our History

A BRIEF History of DELBARTON SCHOOL

By Fr. Benet W. Caffrey, O.S.B. (1931-2018)

德尔巴顿的家乡莫里斯敦地区是一个历史悠久的地区. During the notorious winter of 1779 - 1780, 大陆军在Jockey Hollow驻扎过冬, now part of the Morristown National Historical Park, adjacent to what is now the St. Mary’s Abbey/Delbarton campus. Washington’s Headquarters is nearby in Morristown itself.

In 1841, Martin Luther Kountze (koontz) was born in Osnaburg, Ohio, 德国移民克里斯蒂安和玛格丽特·昆策有7个儿子和5个女儿.  With his brothers Augustus, Herman and Charles, Luther went into banking in Omaha in 1857, and Denver, Colorado in 1862.  1868年,路德来到纽约,建立了孔策兄弟银行. In 1875, he married Annie Ward Parsons, a descendant of two patrician New York families, the Barclays and the Delanceys.

The family prospered both economically and socially, 19世纪80年代,路德·昆策追随许多其他显赫的纽约家族,在新泽西州北部建立了自己的庄园. Gradually, 孔策开始积累4000英亩土地,最终包括现在的圣. Mary’s Abbey and Delbarton School campus, 莫里斯国家历史公园和刘易斯莫里斯县公园.

In 1883, 在他的领地的东北角,他建造了一座大石屋作为避暑胜地,并建立了一个农场和一些附属建筑,如马车房和马厩, barns, 乳品店(仍用作员工住所)和一个被称为“鸡舍”的鸡舍.”

Luther and Annie Kountze had four children: Barclay Ward, William Delancey, Helen Livingston and Annie Ward. 庄园的名字借用了前三个孩子名字中的一个音节 Del-bar-ton.

4月17日,卢瑟·昆策死于流感, 1918, 他的继承人曾多次试图出售德尔巴顿庄园. In 1925, the monks of St. Mary’s Abbey, then located in the center of the City of Newark, 为社区的年轻成员寻找一个郊区的学习场所, 买下了大约四百英亩的原庄园, including the mansion and farm. In the fall of 1927, 第一批开创性的本笃会教授和神学学生在后来被称为“老主城”及其周围的附属建筑上定居下来, and began monastic and academic life at Delbarton.

Soon, 在这个以教育为导向的本笃会社区,建立一所男子中学的想法开始萌芽, which had conducted St. Benedict’s Preparatory School in Newark since 1868. Led by Abbot Patrick M. O’Brien, O.S.B., and pioneering Headmaster, Father Augustine Wirth, O.S.B., 德巴顿学校成立于1939年,当时是一所住校学生学校, with students in the sixth, seventh and eighth grades. 1940年春天,8个男孩从八年级毕业.

在芬德利神父的积极领导下,奥.S.B., who succeeded Fr. Augustine as Headmaster in 1942, high school grades were added (one per year) until 1948, 当12个年轻人的第一届高中毕业典礼举行的时候. Enrollment gradually increased, 但学院仍然以住宅为主,规模较小, with less than 150 total students through the 1950s.

尽管规模较小,德尔巴顿学校逐渐扩大其设施.  Father Stephen led the construction of the St. 在1947年灾难性的火灾中,昆策马车房被毁.  马车房曾经是26个男孩的体育馆和宿舍. In the wake of the fire, Fr. Stephen appropriately chose Delbarton School’s motto, Succisa Virescit ("cut down, it grows back stronger"), 借用了意大利的蒙特卡西诺修道院的座右铭.

The opening of Trinity Hall in 1959, the first purpose-built academic building on campus, was another transformative moment in Delbarton's history.  随着广泛的郊区化和州际高速公路系统的出现, the enrollment rapidly rose to over 300, the majority now day students, a harbinger of the School’s future. 斯蒂芬神父在担任校长25年后,于1967年退休, but continued as Director of Development. In 1971 the Schmeil-O’Brien Hall dormitory was dedicated, 但是,一段时间以来,走读学生的潮流一直强烈倾向于走读学生.

Delbarton’s fourth headmaster, Father Gerard Lair, O.S.B. (1975-1980), initiated major changes in School life. The traditional system of discipline, with demerits and detention, was eliminated in favor of "discipline by conversation," designed to bring about positive changes in boys. The academic prestige of the School grew, and, most significantly, 1978年,修道团体终止了住宿计划.

校园设施在八十年代及九十年代继续扩大, with dedications of the Lynch Athletic Center in 1983, the Fr. Stephen Findlay Pavilion in 1995, the Fine Arts Center in 2007, the Forty Acres and North Field complexes in 2010 and St. Benedict Hall in 2021. 学生人数继续增长,目前有600多名学生. Since its inception, Delbarton has graduated over 4,000 men, 他们中的许多人在为国家服务方面功勋卓著, Church and community.

2006年3月,修道团体选举前校长贾尔斯·海斯神父为奥.S.B. '56 (1980-85, 1995-99) as the tenth Abbot of St. 玛丽修道院,第一个担任这一重要领导角色的德尔巴顿校友.  2007年秋天,德尔巴顿迎来了保罗·狄文尼修士.S.B. as its eleventh Headmaster.  保罗修士是第一个领导德尔巴顿学校的非神职本笃会士.  2014年3月,理查德·克罗宁神父接替了贾尔斯修道院院长的职位. O.S.B. as the eleventh Abbot of St. Mary’s Abbey.

After a successful eleven year tenure as Headmaster, in which Delbarton was strengthened financially, in its facilities, 以及充满活力的本笃会和天主教188bet金宝搏和价值观, Brother Paul retired in June 2018.  Father Michael Tidd, O.S.B. 2018年11月被艾博特·理查德任命为德尔巴顿第十二任校长, assuming office in July 2018.

The first students arrive at Delbarton, 1939

The Dining Hall in Old Main, 1940

Fr. Augustine Wirth, O.S.B. (Headmaster, 1939-1942) teaches Physics

Fr. Stephen Findlay, O.S.B. (1942-1967年校长,左五)与学生和本笃会教职员,1943年


The Fine Arts Center opens, 2006

St. Benedict Hall opens, 2021